History of Threading
Threading is a method that has been around for 1000's of years, the origins are not entirely clear, some claim it began in India, and some in China! but wherever it began, the skill has been practised for centuries in India, Egypt, China and the Middle East, to mention a few. It has become very popular in many regions of the UK especially amongst the younger generation! and in recent time it has become the preferred choice of celebrities.
What is Threading & how long does it last?
Threading is a very effective way to get rid of unwanted hair, especially from the face. It is an alternative method of temporary hair removal to plucking, waxing, sugaring, shaving or using depilatory cream. The technique is popular, it is said that many people find less discomfort is caused than waxing, it is quicker than plucking or tweezing, it also results in less or minimum after effects. The effect of being totally hair free lasts between 1 - 6 weeks depending on how fast an individuals hair grows.
Where is Threading done?
The common places that threading is used are eyebrows, shaping (provides the best precision over alternative methods), space between eyebrows, upper lip, lower lip, chin, sides, forehead, neck and many men like to have the hair around the ears removed. Threading can be carried out on any part of the body where fine and smaller amounts of hair grow.
How is Threading done?
There are many methods and techniques of Threading but the two most popular ones available today are Mouth & Hand, and in both cases 100% cotton thread is used. It involves twisting a piece of thread many times over, into a double strand, the double stranded thread is rolled over the skin area which can trap substantial amounts of hair in a line and then pulls them out of the follicle.
Benefits and Advantages of Threading
* Threading does not peel a layer of skin as other methods can do
* Threading removes even the finest of hair
* Threading can be performed across the entire face, hands, neck, etc
* Most people do not experience redness, swelling, irritation or bumps
* Threading is an excellent choice for people with sensitive skin or medical skin conditions.
* Hair does not grow back as fast
* Hair re-growth is finer over time
* Hair growth is sparser over time
* Threading is faster then tweezing
* Threading is less painful that waxing or sugaring
* Clean and Sanitised approach - only thread touches the skin
* Threading leaves the skin feeling smooth like baby skin
* No chemicals applied (as in waxing & sugaring) so best choice for those on medication whereby some methods would cause extra sensitivity
* Regular treatment reduces the amount of hair growth
* Threading removes many hairs in one go, in contrast to tweezing or plucking where hairs are removed one by one, so it is a faster and less painful method of removing hair.
* No sticky wax residue
How long does it take?
Threading the upper lip normally takes between 7-20 mins by a skilled professional, and eyebrows usually take around 7-45 mins depending on the shape, size hair texture.